Position Description: Development Assistant
Date Posted: November 15, 2018
Position Reports to: Development Director
Salary Range: Entry Level– $25,000 – $35,000 (based on experience)
Overview of Role:
To meet the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) Ohioans across the state, Equality Ohio Education Fund (EOEF) is seekinga Development Assistant. You’ll help accomplish our mission by providing critical back-office support, assisting with our fundraising events and liaising with donors and community partners. This is a great fit for a high-energy individual with an interest in nonprofits, fundraising, and/or operations.
Overview of Responsibilities:
The Development Assistant will manage the donor database, ensure timely acknowledgement of gifts, and generate reports, as well as provide logistical support of donor events and other development priorities.
This position is based in Equality Ohio’s Columbus office. The role will include some travel within the state of Ohio to support development and engagement events statewide.
EOEF and Equality Ohio were founded in 2005 by a group of 65 dedicated LGBTQ activists and allies from all corners of Ohio after voters passed a constitutional amendment prohibiting same sex marriage and civil unions. Our work is broad and focuses on multiple aspects of LGBTQ equality in Ohio. We exist to advocate and educate for fair treatment and equal opportunity for all Ohioans regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. We are a team of passionate, self-motivated, multi-purpose team players who thrive in flexible and independent work environments.
Structure of Equality Ohio:
EOEF is a 501(c)(3) organization governed by the Equality Ohio Education Fund Board. Equality Ohio is a 501(c)(4) organization governed by the Equality Ohio Board. Twenty-four community leaders from across Ohio currently serve on these Boards, providing EOEF and Equality Ohio with intellectual depth and a well-rounded body of experienced leadership.
- Database management: maintain donor records and accurate information within the donor database; produce accurate mailing lists and reports; maintain database accuracy through ongoing clean-up efforts
- Donation processing: ensure the accurate and timely entry of donation information; prepare and send acknowledgement letters and communications
- Prospect research: prepare accurate research on prospects and assemble materials for cultivation and solicitation visits
- Donor appeals: assist with the writing and editing of appeals, acknowledgements, reports, and grant proposals
- Event Coordination: collaborate with communications and field team members to plan and execute special events
- Communications: communicate with donors in person, on the phone, and by email; assist with the development of marketing and engagement materials across communication channels
- Collaborate with other Equality Ohio team members on various projects to advance LGBTQ equality as needed
- Complete other tasks as assigned
Minimum Qualifications for Applicants Include:
- 2+ years of experience in an office or campaign environment
- Have familiarity and fluency regarding issues facing the LGBTQ community
- Demonstrate passion for public interest and social justice work
- Willingness to and comfort with making verbal and written appeals for monetary support
- Have availability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Be willing to travel and have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle with insurance
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have the ability to work with diverse groups across all levels of organizations with a commitment to teamwork
- Have effective public speaking skills
- Demonstrate reliability, creativity, versatility, and initiative
- Be proficient with Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Drive
- Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) database systems such as Blackbaud, Salesforce or NGP (familiarity with NGP and/or EveryAction preferred)
Desired Characteristics: Resourceful, Self-motivated, Passionate, Flexible, Sense of Humor, Detail-Oriented, Dedicated to LGBTQ Equality
Application Instructions:Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2018.
**Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials as early as possible.
People of color, LGBTQ people, and those with gender-expansive identities are strongly encouraged to apply.