Position Reports to: Managing Legal Director
Salary Range: Mid-Level: $55,000 – $60,000 (based on experience)]
This job is being reposted after funding has been secured.
Overview of Role:
To meet the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) Ohioans across the state, Equality Ohio Education Fund (EOEF) is seeking three full-time Legal Clinic Attorneys for our newly established legal clinic, which will open in January 2019. The presence of an attorney in each of three geographic regions (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati) will significantly expand the ability for EOEF to directly address the needs of LGBTQ Ohioans.
Overview of Responsibilities:
Attorneys will focus on intake, direct representation, legal trainings, Know-Your-Rights workshops, and access to information and resources about the complicated patchwork of protections that exist under local, state, and federal law for LGBTQ people.
Geographical Areas for Hiring/Representation:
- Including the following Northeast Ohio Counties: Cuyahoga, Lorain, Lake, Ashtabula, Trumbull, Geauga, Medina, Summit, Portage, Mahoning, Stark, Wayne, Columbiana, Jefferson, Harrison, Carroll, Tuscarawas
Equality Ohio Education Fund (EOEF) and Equality Ohio were founded in 2005 by a group of 65 dedicated LGBTQ activists and allies from all corners of Ohio after voters passed a constitutional amendment prohibiting same sex marriage and civil unions. Our work is broad and focuses on multiple aspects of LGBTQ equality in Ohio. We exist to advocate and educate for fair treatment and equal opportunity for all Ohioans regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. We are a team of passionate, self-motivated, multi-purpose team players who thrive in flexible and independent work environments.
Structure of Equality Ohio:
EOEF is a 501(c)(3) organization governed by the Equality Ohio Education Fund Board. Equality Ohio is a 501(c)(4) organization governed by the Equality Ohio Board. Twenty-four community leaders from across Ohio currently serve on these Boards, providing EOEF and Equality Ohio with intellectual depth and a well-rounded body of experienced leadership.
Attorney Goals and Objectives:
- Provide direct representation for clients regionally in targeted areas of civil law including but not limited to family law, discrimination (housing, employment, public accommodations), estate planning, insurance representation, and name changes
- Conduct email, telephonic, and in-person intake for individuals needing legal assistance
- Assist in the referral and follow-up of referrals to outside social service agencies or attorneys as appropriate
- Update and maintain a referral database of LGBTQ and affirming counselors, organizations, and agencies in proximity to their location
- Conduct outreach to LGBTQ and allied attorneys, legal-serving organizations, and LGBTQ-serving organizations
- Create/update LGBTQ Know-Your-Rights pamphlets, materials, videos, and brochures
- Organize monthly Know-Your-Rights workshops across the designated region
- Conduct and track referral and outreach
- Collaborate with other Equality Ohio team members on various projects to advance LGBTQ equality as needed
- Complete other tasks as assigned
Minimum Qualifications for Applicants Include:
- Be a barred Ohio attorney in good standing
- Have familiarity and fluency regarding issues facing the LGBTQ community, and have an exceptional understanding of LGBTQ identity
- Demonstrate passion for public interest and social justice work
- Have availability to work evenings and weekends
- Be willing to travel and have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle with insurance
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have the ability to work with diverse groups across all levels of organizations with a commitment to teamwork
- Have effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Demonstrate reliability, creativity, versatility, and initiative
- Be proficient with Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google Drive, and LexisNexis/Westlaw or other legal research software
Desired Characteristics: Resourceful, Self-motivated, Passionate, Flexible, Sense of Humor, Detail-Oriented, Dedicated to LGBTQ Equality
Application Instructions: Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
People of color, LGBTQ people, and those with gender-expansive identities are strongly encouraged to apply.