The Trump administration is attempting to rewrite the rules––and allow health insurers and health care providers to discriminate against LGBTQ people. Specifically, the Department of Health & Human Services would like to erase protections for LGBTQ people that exist in the Health Care Rights Law (also known as Section 1557).
Make a Public Comment Now
When a federal department tries to make a change like this, they have to give the public an opportunity to give their opinion. You can do that right here!
Writing Your Comment
We need you to share your story and tell the federal government not to roll back LGBTQ health! We don’t have a template for you, because the most powerful impact you can have is with your own words. Your comment can be long, or it can be brief. That’s up to you!
Here’s some things to think about while writing your message:
- Delaying or not receiving medical care can be deadly. In the last U.S. Transgender Survey, 21% of transgender Ohioans reported they have been refused medical care due to their gender identity/expression and 27% postponed necessary medical care due to discrimination.
- Insurance companies often put up barriers for transgender people: 25% of transgender Ohioans experienced a problem with their insurance, such as being denied coverage for transition-related care or even routine care simply because they were transgender.
- The mission of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is to enhance the health and well-being of all Americans. Allowing for discrimination is counter to the department’s mission and purpose.
- We decided a long time ago in this country that discrimination is not okay, and this is no different. LGBTQ people––and LGBTQ people of color in particular––already have a difficult time accessing health care. This will just make it worse.
- Some people, especially in rural areas, might not have a lot of choices when it comes to accessing health care. If those medical providers can discriminate against LGBTQ people, our community might not have a close, safe place to get their health care.
Copyright © 2018 Equality Ohio, LLC. All Rights Reserved.